Tuesday 30 April 2013

Testing New Telescopic Antenna For My Midland 77-805 Portapak

Having recently purchased this second hand Midland 77-805 Portapak, unfortunately it didn't come with its telescopic antenna. But a Charlie Tango DX Group member, very kindly sent me one. And here's how I got on trialing it for the first time.

A Few Photos Of My Evening's DXing :


View from the trig point over to Pendle Hill


My base for the evenings DXing attempts...
An Underground Nuclear Monitoring Post !


Received CT1268 (19 miles away) no problem.
But he was unable to hear my signal


Sun setting in the distance as I left the hill, for home

Location : Mellor Moor, Lancashire, UK
Altitude : 213m ASL
Kit Used : Midland 77-805 Portapak (Telescopic Antenna)

5 comments:

  1. I reckon try the roach pole antenna next time that might do it.
    CT1268

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Duane, but was interesting to see how the telescopic coped. Thanks for your comment

      Delete
  2. Just picked one of these radios up for a £10 with mag mount and power pack. Unfortunately no battery pack or telescopic ariel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your info about the Midland 77-805 with us all very helpful I have just found one of these little gems on Ebay but the telescopic aerial has been broken Lucky its the 3rd section down from the top and I can fix it BUT I don't know the proper length of the top section from the top of the center load coil.. So Please if its not to much trouble could you measure yours and send me the result if its hassle the whole extended antenna from the base that screws to the ball joint unit to the tip of antenna... Many Many Thanks hypahippy Romeo Tango 04

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your info about the Midland 77-805 with us all very helpful I have just found one of these little gems on Ebay but the telescopic aerial has been broken Lucky its the 3rd section down from the top and I can fix it BUT I don't know the proper length of the top section from the top of the center load coil.. So Please if its not to much trouble could you measure yours and send me the result if its hassle the whole extended antenna from the base that screws to the ball joint unit to the tip of antenna... Many Many Thanks hypahippy Romeo Tango 04

    ReplyDelete